Create stunning heirloom quality luxury goods with M3 Mokume composite Blanks, Rods, Billets, and Knife Scales. Add a whole new dimension to your art by creating with magnificent materials exhibiting spectacular wood grains (Mokume), patterns and surface characteristics that both mesmerize and inspire. Produced with exotic natural elements (metals, lava, carbon) that have been transformed by the M3 macro-molecular process enabling them to be worked with standard tooling, finished easily to a gem quality surface and will literally last forever.
M3 Online Store
M3 Mokume Knife Scale Matched Sets (2 pieces)
The new M3 Mokume Matched Knife Scales represent a crowning achievement in our luxury knife handle and bolster materials. Now produced with our new Jewelry Grade formula, these scales are 10x stronger and even more beautiful than our original. This material is strong enough to stand on its own. There is no need for a backing or liner when producing small works with this remarkable example of today’s advanced material engineering.
We diamond slice these from our Jewelry Grade billets and we slice until we find a perfect match which is why this material sells for a premium. These are for top artisans and small manufactures who require this level of "Book-Matching" for their one of a kind or limited edition creations.
JUST NEED ONE or don't require matching scales, then check out our Flat Stock which is produced from the same JG material in a variety of sizes and thicknesses.
“And I have to tell you - the pictures DO NOT do this stuff justice! In these pictures, it looks 2 dimensional. But up close, it looks like a lustrous metal with a cool 3 dimensional "starfield" effect when you move it in the light - it glitters and glows. Gorgeous material. “ (Ted Phillips Spyderco Forum)
|M3 Mokume Styles|
|Cobaltium Mokume||Black Gold||Classic Mokume|
|M3 Damascus||Black & Red||Blue & White|
|Black & White||Tiffany Blue & Gold||Gunsmoke & Gold|
|White Mokume||M3 Lapis Mokume||Blue & Red Mokume|
Patterns for M3 Jewelry Grade Knife Scales are Side Grain, Wood-Eye and Random Burl.
M3 Jewelry Grade: In the early 21st Century, with the price of precious metals at an all time high, many artisans sought out M3 Mokume as an alternative material for jewelry, collectibles and handheld works of art. M3 Mokume Jewelry Grade was engineered specifically to meet to needs of these talented designers.
The patterns are tight and elaborate insuring plenty of pattern in small parts. It is strong, smooth, lightweight and feels great to touch. M3 Mokume feels so good against the skin that some jewelry designers use it as the inner band of wedding rings.
Impact, break and heat resistant (350 degrees F.), this material is rugged enough to be used on tactical equipment, but recommended more for EDC (everyday carry), collectibles and limited editions.
A true Heirloom quality material, means that M3 Mokume can't rust, corrode or rot and will look great for many generations, Click "What is M3" for a detailed scientific explantation.
"it looks like a lustrous metal with a cool 3 dimensional "starfield" effect when you move it in the light - it glitters and glows. Gorgeous material." (Ted Phillips Spyderco Forum)
Working with M3 Mokume Jewelry Grade: Engineered to be dense and stable, M3 Jewelry Grade works easily, but is a bit tougher on the tools than our Commercial Grade. Wood Lathes and tools will still work this material, but carbide and diamond tipped tools work best.
- No special tools are required to work with M3. It will cut, turn, sand, grind, carve and drill with standard wood working tools. But carbide and diamond tipped tools will work the best.
- Drill speed should be set low at around 600rpm and you should back the bit out every inch in order to control heat buildup. Using a sacrificial backing to drill into will stop any chipping at the exit hole.
- M3 will turn on any lathe; wood or metal. It is perfect for milling and CNC machining.
- Set lathe speed around 3000rpm and use sharp tools. Carbide tipped chisels will require less sharpening.
- Different M3 metals exhibit the surface hardness associated with the source metal. Titanium and stainless steel will be a little harder on the tools than copper and aluminum.
- Use a light touch and take the material down in thin layers using care not to build up too much heat.
- M3 will sand aggressively so be careful with the lower grits.
- Hold sandpaper and polishing cloths with your hand so that you can control the heat buildup.
- M3 needs to be finished. It can be sanded wet or dry and will achieve a high gloss, scratch resistant surface. Follow the polishing instructions for the PMP (premium metal polish).
- You should polish this material as “Metal” using appropriate metal polish. M3 Premium Metal Polish (PMP) is matched to M3 and creates a gem finish after sanding down to only 600 grit.
- M3 will glue or laminate to itself as well as to most other metals and materials using any good Epoxy or CA glue. Stone setting epoxy should be used when mounting precious and/or semiprecious stones.
- M3 metal will patina with standard metal patina chemicals that are readily available.
- The metals used in producing M3 maintain a very high level of purity and some will patina naturally over time and with use.
Our Guarantee to be Beautiful: All M3 Mokume and Damascus patterns are random and created by hand along with the natural interplay of the metals during the M3 process. While we have some control over the overall patterns the end result is like a snowflake or fingerprint, no two are alike. It is the random nature of the patterns that make our M3 Mokume so desirable.
If your finished work is not presentable due to an unsightly pattern or any defect in the blank then we will replace it for FREE. Simply email us photos with an explanation of the defect and we will send you a new one; all you pay for is the shipping.
Oops Insurance (50% deductable): We recognize that M3 blanks cost more than other blanks on the market and they are worth every penny. What makes this material truly unique is the fact that it is unbelievably strong while at the same time easy to turn, carve and polish. That being said, mistakes do happen and when they happen with an expensive material it hurts.
We want you to be successful. So if you break the blank, drill through, cut it wrong or destroy it in another fashion while working with it we will replace it for 50% of the current catalog price plus shipping. Simply email us the photos with a brief explanation of what happened.
NOTE: M3 Mokume is a custom made product and this order will go into production the day after it is received. Our small batch on demand production system allows us to offer over 1500 product variations on this website alone. While stocking is not realistic, we do over produce the most popular blanks; so if we have it on hand it will ship right away. Most orders ship in 5 to 15 days and we try to communicate any delays due to life, business and natural disasters. If you are on a deadline please email us and in most cases we can accommodate. (I know it says “in stock” in the shopping cart, but that is hard coded and cant be changed)
Don’t Forget M3 Premium Metal Polish (PMP)