Create stunning heirloom quality luxury goods with M3 Mokume composite Blanks, Rods, Billets, and Knife Scales. Add a whole new dimension to your art by creating with magnificent materials exhibiting spectacular wood grains (Mokume), patterns and surface characteristics that both mesmerize and inspire. Produced with exotic natural elements (metals, lava, carbon) that have been transformed by the M3 macro-molecular process enabling them to be worked with standard tooling, finished easily to a gem quality surface and will literally last forever.
M3 Online Store
M3 Mokume Ring Stock
Perfect for Jewelry of all types or any small part requiring a much tighter pattern than our standard rods. Millennials' appear to have embraced this material for their most cherished wedding rings perhaps as a testament to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). M3 feels great against the skin so it is being used more and more as a ring core. I have seen wedding bands, earing's, cabochons, pendants, luxury handbag tags, military challenge coins, watch faces, watch cases, cufflinks, tie tacks and more. Still waiting to see someone use it for a link watch band.
These Rods are made by hand one at a time in order to insure the best pattern and quality. In contrast, our standard rods are produced in 25 Rod batches. Orders for these Ring Stock can sometimes fall behind schedule so give yourself extra lead time when ordering these fine custom made Rods.
“And I have to tell you - the pictures DO NOT do this stuff justice! In these pictures, it looks 2 dimensional. But up close, it looks like a lustrous metal with a cool 3 dimensional "starfield" effect when you move it in the light - it glitters and glows. Gorgeous material. “ (Ted Phillips Spyderco Forum)
|M3 Mokume Styles|
|Cobaltium Mokume||Black Gold||Classic Mokume|
|M3 Damascus||Black & Red||Blue & White|
|Black & White||Tiffany Blue & Gold||Gunsmoke & Gold|
|White Mokume||M3 Lapis Mokume||Blue & Red Mokume|
Ring Stock Patterns are very tight so that many parts can be made from the rod and each will have extraordinary patterns. There is a premium charged for these rods, because this pattern requires twice the time to produce and much more attention to detail.
Original Formula: This material was originally engineered for pen makers and wood turners, so it is easily workable with wood tools while obtaining a gem metal finish that will look great forever. This material is very strong and resilient once it is finished and in place. If you are going to break M3 Commercial grade you are going to do it by getting it too hot while working on it, press fitting misaligned parts or dropping it in the shop. Once it is assembled in the finished piece it will look great forever.
As strong and hard as this material is, it is susceptible to chipping or cracking if it is dropped, abused or over-stressed. Our Jewelry Grade material is a better choice if you need serious durability, break and chip resistance. M3 Jewelry Grade material is 10x stronger and almost unbreakable.
Working with M3: Engineered to be dense and stable, M3 works easily with traditional wood working tools and will hold the finest of detail. Colors and patterns run completely through the material and the M3 PMP (premium metal polish) finishing system makes the famous M3 gem quality finish easy to achieve. The finished product is beautiful, lightweight, scratch resistant, very strong, comfortable to wear and to touch and will last for many generations.
- No special tools are required to work with M3. It will cut, turn, sand, grind, carve and drill with standard wood working tools.
- Drill speed should be set low at around 600rpm and you should back the bit out every inch in order to control heat buildup. Using a sacrificial backing to drill into will stop any chipping at the exit hole.
- M3 will turn on any lathe; wood or metal. It is perfect for milling and CNC machining.
- Set lathe speed around 3000rpm and use sharp tools. Carbide tipped chisels will require less sharpening.
- Different M3 metals exhibit the surface hardness associated with the source metal. Titanium and stainless steel will be a little harder on the tools than copper and aluminum.
- Use a light touch and take the material down in thin layers using care not to build up too much heat.
- M3 will sand aggressively so be careful with the lower grits.
- Hold sandpaper and polishing cloths with your hand so that you can control the heat buildup.
- M3 needs to be finished. It can be sanded wet or dry and will achieve a high gloss, scratch resistant surface. Follow the polishing instructions for the PMP (premium metal polish).
- You should polish this material as “Metal” using appropriate metal polish. M3 Premium Metal Polish (PMP) is matched to M3 and creates a gem finish after sanding down to only 600 grit.
- M3 will glue or laminate to itself as well as to most other metals and materials using any good Epoxy or CA glue. Stone setting epoxy should be used when mounting precious and/or semiprecious stones.
- M3 metal will patina with standard metal patina chemicals that are readily available.
- The metals used in producing M3 maintain a very high level of purity and some will patina naturally over time and with use.
Our Guarantee to be Beautiful: All M3 Mokume and Damascus patterns are random and created by hand along with the natural interplay of the metals during the M3 process. While we have some control over the overall patterns the end result is like a snowflake or fingerprint, no two are alike. It is the random nature of the patterns that make our M3 Mokume so desirable.
If your finished work is not presentable due to an unsightly pattern or any defect in the blank then we will replace it for FREE. Simply email us photos with an explanation of the defect and we will send you a new one; all you pay for is the shipping.
Oops Insurance (50% deductable): We recognize that M3 blanks cost more than other blanks on the market and they are worth every penny. What makes this material truly unique is the fact that it is unbelievably strong while at the same time easy to turn, carve and polish. That being said, mistakes do happen and when they happen with an expensive material it hurts.
We want you to be successful. So if you break the blank, drill through, cut it wrong or destroy it in another fashion while working with it we will replace it for 50% of the current catalog price plus shipping. Simply email us the photos with a brief explanation of what happened.
NOTE: M3 Mokume is a custom made product and this order will go into production the day after it is received. Our small batch on demand production system allows us to offer over 1500 product variations on this website alone. While stocking is not realistic, we do over produce the most popular blanks; so if we have it on hand it will ship right away. Most orders ship in 5 to 15 days and we try to communicate any delays due to life, business and natural disasters. If you are on a deadline please email us and in most cases we can accommodate. (I know it says “in stock” in the shopping cart, but that is hard coded and cant be changed)
Don’t Forget M3 Premium Metal Polish (PMP)